Thursday, November 18, 2010

The big picture

Back to the trial...

Legend continued to run well but didn't get any Qs on Sunday.  In standard she stopped to sniff a number cone ???  Like those haven't been there all weekend.  In jumpers she (big surprise) missed the first weave pole on a very challenging course that she otherwise handled very well.  Lyric continues to improve but has not quite got it all together yet-but is having a lot of fun!

So if I look at the short term situation it would be easy to be disappointed with all the near misses I'm having with Legend.  But if I look at the big picture, I really get a different perspective, and that's what I need to concentrate on.  This is a different dog than I had a year ago, or two years ago, or even six months ago.  She's faster, more confident, more consistent, more responsive, running smoother lines and making tighter turns.  If all we have left to fix is weave poles then we should be in great shape!  If we get the poles fixed and she continues to run this well then 2011 could be a really great year for her!  I would actually like to see her  get off the start line a little faster too but maybe that will come with time just like the rest of the improvements have.  Anyway, we have two more AKC trials this year and one more NADAC then we are done until sometime in February.  I think I'll be ready for a break, but it's always hard to stop when things are getting good.

3 comments:

Diana said...

I glad things are coming together. Diana

Sara said...

What a positive post! How wonderful that Legend is running with confidence. Im sure you'll figure out those weaves.

Chris and Ricky said...

I would love it if Ricky were consistently getting faster and more confident at trials so I know how happy you are with Legend! Hope it all carries over into 2011!