Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The example

He seemed like a nice enough guy, maybe not that smart, but was still wanting to know what was wrong with his dog.  The dog, for his part, was a friendly, if not so attractive yellow lab, 5 years old, intact, no vaccine history on file, with a distended abdomen and history of not eating well and vomiting with some weight loss.  A little too young to suspect cancer or organ failure I thought immediately of heartworm disease and asked if the dog was on prevention.  No, he wasn't.  Has he ever been on prevention or just not recently?  No, not ever, we get "wormer" from the feed store. 

I know you're thinking this post is about heartworms but it really isn't (remarkably, he was heartworm negative).  We go on to pursue diagnostics and diagnose with dog with heart failure secondary to a dilated cardiomyopathy.  While the other doctor suggested to the owner he get his next dog from a different breeder due to the possible genetic components of this disease he comments that the dog has already fathered 33 puppies. 

Bang head against wall.  Repeat.  So you're telling me that the dog you can't be bothered to vaccinate or keep on heartworm prevention, much less pursue OFA or other genetic testing on you decided to breed.  Nice.

I sort of ceased to feel sorry for him at that point.  Sure money can be tight, maybe they didn't know about heartworms, whatever.  But to think it's ok to just randomly breed the dog for whatever pathetic reason they came up with?

And there are so many people like this.  How they can justify breeding their dog to try and make a quick buck in a country where millions of healthy dogs are put to sleep every year I just don't know.  Maybe they don't realize, or don't care but it still drives me insane.  I know I've been on this rant before but that's what you get for reading my blog!  Probably won't be the last time either. 

9 comments:

Diana said...

Wow, very sad.

Sue said...

Yeah, and some of those pups are probably Labradoodles from his buddy's poodle. Then he can charge $1000 and up and still pass on the lousy genes.

Splash said...

That reminds me of a classmate I had in Veterinary school. He wrote his thesis on "Practice-Building". It was a complete business plan that involved breeding Bulldogs and German Shepherds, since, you know, in every single dang pathology the professors listed those two as susceptible breeds. The faculty loved his thesis!

Sara said...

That is so sad. So much irresponsibility.

Chris and Ricky said...

People make me sick some times!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Now I am banging my head against the wall.....and I wish people demanded more before they hand over money for a puppy, no matter how little they pay....
yesterday I saw where a breeder here in this area -a very high class expensive breeder that a lot of people trust...that supposidly does all the testing as OFA results posted of a mom that will deliver any day -on her website, but looking at the OFA website, the dog did not get the rating she claims, and poor buyers who think they are demanding the health testing done and that their pup comes from dogs with good test results, ......it just seems people who are going to get pups from breeders have got to check everything out and demand a lot higher standards for the sake of all the dogs we love and their health. I dont know how you keep your cool facing people like that...

Nicki said...

Sue-I think they were breeding "huntin" dogs but I guess that doesn't necessarilly exclude a labradoodle does it?

Kathy-that's just sad. It's hard enought to find a good breeder and then to have one be untruthful. Makes you scared to every buy a dog.

Splash-no doubt, bulldogs are money makers for sure, but I could care less if ever saw one walk in my door.

Elizabeth said...

It drives me insane... we have a kennel near us that continues to breed dogs with Addison's disease.. and deny's it. One woman actually bought a second dog from her that also developed Addison's.. so even the buyers don't learn.. ( puppy buyer to me : but she swore to me it would not happen again !).

Krissy Wood said...

I don't like people sometimes...I can't believe them! Seriously!