Saturday, January 23, 2010

The gross factor

or the cool factor, or the wow factor, depending on who you are! When I left work I copied my computer files to take with me. In one of the folders were pictures of various interesting cases we saw so I thought I'd share a few with you.

This was a huge fatty tumor I removed-it's a benign lipoma but was starting to bother the dog's movement as it was near her shoulder and elbow. For a size reference the dog is a very large Great Dane. So you can see the mass is almost as big as her head!

This was a cat that we suspect suffered a huge burn wound. This picture is in the early weeks of healing. I didn't think to take a picture the day the huge piece of skin came off but the original injury extended to near the margins on shaved hair.

Here is the same kitty-about 5 months later.

This is a photo taken at necropsy of a dog with a nasty spleen tumor-probably a hemangiosarcoma. He was bleeding into his abdomen.

This dog went missing from his house and was found a week later with horrific injuries to his front legs. The right front was so badly fractured and infected at the joint that we had to amputate. The wound on the other side took months to heal but eventually did.
Here is that wound several weeks into therapy.
Hope you already had lunch or don't mind a little blood!

4 comments:

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

I used to take pictures too when I was a vet tech!! Some of them are awesome, some of them are gross.

Thank you for sharing - brought back a lot of memories!

Diana said...

Wow, impressive. Diana

LauraK said...

Cool pictures- I started out on the vet track at Colorado State, but later decided against it :) I still find things like that neat though- especially when you can see how the animals healed up. Pretty amazing stuff!

TC said...

I thought I'd lost my cast iron stomach but nope, thanks for sharing, interesting.