Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Who's crazy?

Cats will urinate outside the litter box for a lot of reasons.  But when they have normal stool outside of the box, it's usually a behavioral issue.  Especially if it's, say, on your couch.

So here's the situation.  Client comes in with a cat who is actually urinating and defecting outside the box.  Although I can't rule out a medical component I suggested there were some behavioral components.  Now the recommended amount of litter boxes to have is one for every cat plus one.  While some cats are not nearly so private or picky, some are.  Since this family had one litter box, which they admitted to only cleaning a few times a week, and two cats, I suggested they add a few more boxes and clean them (gasp) daily.  Their response was "you must be crazy."

Seriously?  Who is the one with poop on their couch?

Really, if someone asked you to share a walk-in toilet with another person and it was only cleaned two times a week how happy would you be?  You would probably poop on the couch too.

6 comments:

Charlene and Storm said...

HHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!! fantastic, god some people are such tits! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! loved that story x

Diana said...

I had this cat who kept peeing next to the litter box. We had just moved to a new house and I thought maybe she was stressed. I put two litter boxes out and still pee right next ot the box. I couldnt figure out what was wrong. Then my dog pees right in front of me, next to the litter box. LOL, OMG its the dog, not that cat. I felt terrible. I took the dog to the vet and he had a UTI. Poor dog, his owner was so dumb that he finally had to pee right in front of her , for her to get it.

Karissa said...

Don't you know, they just want a magic pill to give their pet so that the problems go away. God forbid it require any extra work or effort on their behalf.

We deal with those people at the shelter all the time. The most recent was the lovely person who brought in a cat who had been "urinating blood" for several weeks. They brought it in to be euthanized because they didn't want to deal with the problem. We took the cat to the vet, diagnosed UTI, treated it and now the cat is available for adoption.

WHY do some people even have animals???? I will never understand....

Melissa said...

Wow. I hope their cat never gets diabetes or some other medical condition that requires daily attention. How do they even stand the smell of all that pee and poo laying in the box for days?!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

How funny, as someone with three cats I would think the house would be much more pleasant if litter got scooped at least daily :-). It is funny it just isn't that big of a deal if you scoop as you walk by......you would think the poop on the couch would make daily scooping seem like a dream compared to getting poop off the couch.

Chris and Ricky said...

I had a cat (just one) that started to poop on the carpet and I could never figure out why. She was an only cat and I always kept the litter box clean. Then years later I had a female cat who kept missing the litter box when she peed. I finally saw that she was lifting her tail and peeing outside the box. So I got her a very deep litter box and problem solved.