Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Poisoned

Barney got into antifreeze.  We don't know where.  He doesn't usually go far but he must have went far enough to get himself into trouble.  I noticed he was sick monday night but looked him over and it didn't seem like an emergency (little did I know) so I just let him hang out in the barn like usual overnight.  Tuesday morning he was worse and I took him to work with me.  He was dehydrated, lethargic and wobbly, but without fever or obvious injury.  Bloodwork pointed toward kidney damage so we ran the ethylene glycol test-it turned positive almost right away.

Prognosis is poor in cats who are not treated within 3 hours but we decided to try anyway.  So far he's beating the odds but it's still a long shot.  Tomorrow we will run more bloodwork and reassess his condition.  Cross your fingers.  He's a fighter!

The sad thing is, this doesn't have to happen.  I know there are risks to having an outdoor cat but this is a preventable accident.  They make a pet safe product, people don't need to leave it sitting out, or let a car continue to leak.  It's not safe and it's not responsible-how would they feel if their cat was poisoned?  I can understand rat poison or snail bait-at least that is serving a purpose, but there is no reason for someone to leave antifreeze out where animals can reach it, even if they are not your own. 

12 comments:

LauraK said...

That's terrible! Hopefully he pulls through- I know he's in good hands though :) We'll be thinking of you all!

Anonymous said...

That's awful. I will keep him in my thoughts...

Amanda

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

OH I AM SOOOO SORRY, hope he continues to beat the odds we will be keeping him in our prayers. Years and years ago we had a cat with kittens that was just playing by the side of the house and the neighbor had left out antifreeze, that was one of the most horrible experiences I have ever had, wish they would manufacture that stuff so it does not taste so good to animals, AND people would be more careful, such a senseless thing

Sara said...

Nikki, I'm so sorry. I hope Barney continues to fight and pulls through.

Diana said...

Im so sorry. Positive thoughts and prayers are headed your way. Diana

Chris and Ricky said...

So sorry about Barney! We're sending healing thoughts your way and keeping fingers/paws crossed!

Noah said...

Thats terrible! I am praying for Barney.

Sue said...

Poor Barnet, we're so sorry. That is one of my big fears as I know people aren't careful with antifreeze and I know animals are attracted to it. We're keeping our paws crossed for him.
Sue

Kathy Kail said...

Oh gosh - sending Barney healing thoughts!!!

Sarah said...

thinking of you :) how scary!

tervnmal said...

I am so sorry, that's awful. Sending many positive thoughts your way for Barney.

Elizabeth said...

I do hope Barney continues to improve and beats the odds.
Hopefully it was not done on purpose ( have seen this happen )but just a preventable accident.