I got the furniture painted and it looks much better. I decided to take the plunge and finish the rest of the room. The walls got new paint in a color that complements the furniture. And all the woodwork got painted, which made a huge difference. You can see some close up before and after here.
Then I sorted the ribbons. Cleaned, organized and rehung the ones that were new, special, or unique and tossed the rest. I took down some of the older photos and certificates and added some new ones, as well as a few pics that were in a different room. The black frames I just cleaned. But the brown ones I repainted in gray to look more consistent with the room. I’m really happy with how everything turned out. Still have a lot more rooms to do but this is a good start.