Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Surgery

Today I did my first splenectomy. It was on an old Rottweiler who had a splenic mass. The spleen/tumor combo weighed almost 4 pounds. I know that sounds big but last week my boss did a 10 lb splenic mass on a Labrador (a very large Labrador). Anyway, turns out removing a spleen isn't that hard, just kind of tedious. And pretty dull for the tech who gets to stand there and hold the tumor in a convenient position for me to work on it!

This adorable border collie below was found by one of our receptionists. She is very, very thin but also very, very sweet and loving. She appears to be already spayed but did turn out to be heartworm positive. She is being treated for her heartworms and will be available for adoption through border collie rescue in approx 60 days. She has so far been quiet and has not pottied in her run and I think will be ok with other dogs, cats or kids.

And here is a picture of one of our barn cats-Lefty. He was named lefty because the people who moved out of our house apparently left him behind.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

This is the first time I have been on your blog site. This is pretty cool. I didn't know what it was! Congrats on the splenectomy. The last time I did one was in school with help of course! It was very tedious as you said. What was the mass?
Jack Jack will be starting agility classes soon. He needs to be focused on something! He will have to be in the low rider course!
Stay warm or move to California!