Thursday, July 24, 2008

Berries

Last year I had a tremendous crop of blackberries. This year looked like it would be another great crop as well-but then we got beetles. First it was just little beetles and they died when I sprayed with Sevin. But before we left for vacation we started getting big ugly beetles that congregate on the berries and suck the juice out. I sprayed but it didn't work-they are totally infested with big beetles and little beetles and then they invited the flies. So we switched to Ortho Max Bug-B-Gone and that seems to be helping. I will check them again tomorrow in the daylight. Hopefully I will be able to salvage some of the crop although they definitely won't pass for "organic" at this point! My carrots are still growing but since carrots grow underground I don't have any idea of when they are done. Guess I'll dig one up occasionally.



Here is another random vacation picture.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Nicki,
Try spraying with soapy water. Most beetles die if they get coated with soap. I guess they smother. It won't hurt your berries.
Sue