Monday, November 21, 2011

Training updates

I'm so proud of myself.  I've gone out at least 4 days this week and worked dogs despite the weather being windy, chilly, wet or some combination of the above. I'm also pleased to report that Legend has had no side effects from the medication.  She has been as full of herself as usual and sharp as a tack in practice.  So, as of right now, I'm planning on letting her run at the trial this weekend.

So what have we been working on?  We've been working really hard at sending out ahead of me-over multiple obstacles or just a single jump from increasing distances.  Also sending on from a contact or tunnel while I remain stationary (as in "behind the line").  They are both doing well but Lyric is having a little trouble understanding what to do as I fade the manners minder out (no target). 

They are also working on discriminations and getting much better, even at a distance and with speed.  This is a big deal for Lyric-she patterns train really easy (as in I got the cookie for the tunnel last time!)

I'm also working Legend on "back" meaning to turn away from me.  She only sort of knows this and isn't reliable enough yet to do it all the time on those far away chances courses.  I will start Lyric on this eventually.  I want her to get a little more comfortable with the other skills first.  She's also been proofing her teeter, weaves and table. 

I've been super pleased with how both of them are running.  Should be interesting to see how things go this weekend and then at NADAC in December.

3 comments:

Dachshund Nola said...

Great job! I'd like to do agility sometime next year when it's safe for my bones.
Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola

tervnmal said...

Love training outside this time of year (at least for a few more days) - no sweat!

Chris and Ricky said...

Good for you getting out in not-so-nice weather and training! I am so glad to hear that Legend is not having any side effects! Happy Thanksgiving!