Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Round 2

There are some things in life that are only worth doing for pride, and for the story you get to tell later.  This was one of those things. 

All week long we watched the forecast for Saturday in Nashville deteriorate.  Of all times for the weather people to be right, it was this time.  Saturday morning we woke up at 4:45.  Got on the shuttle at 5:30.  It was cloudy and cool and threatening to rain, but at the moment, still dry.  We got our gear checked in and hit the porta-potty line.  And it started to rain.  And kept raining.  We waited forever in the potty line and just got colder and colder in the rain and decided to take turns going back to the gear check to get our dry clothes back on.  As it turns out this was a poor choice since the jacket and pants I had brought were not particularly lightweight or quick drying.  But, for the moment we were warmer and dryer. 
When we finally finished with the potty line a steady rain was falling.  We were supposed to be in corral 9 but since we were running a little late by this time the race started without us and we joined corral 13.  Each corral has about 1000 people and they let them go about every minute or so.  I think we started about 17 minutes after the gun. So here are just some of the other 30,000 crazy people who showed up to run in the rain.
And rain it did.  The whole 13.1 miles.  Every. Single. Step.  If it has been 80 and raining it would have been ok, but it was 50 and raining.  Which I can now say, is less than ideal. At first it wasn't so bad but a few miles in we were soaked all the way through and my not so light jacket and pants were waterlogged and soggy and our feet were more or less swimming in our shoes.  But once you start, there's no turning back.  Two hours and ten minutes later we arrived at the finish-which ordinarily would be good.  But when it's 50 degrees and you have been running in the rain, and then you stop running in the rain you get really cold, really fast.  Plus you are wet, tired, sore, and stiff.  And let me tell you, the walk from the finish to the shuttle was one of the longest of my life.  I'd have to think really hard to come up with a time in my life when I have been more miserable.  So, no I don't have an "after" picture.  We didn't feel like stopping and digging out a phone or camera.  But I do have these for you.

Fortunately, the rest of the weekend was pleasant.  We enjoyed shopping at the expo on Friday when we checked in-there was no shortage of fun running stuff to look at.  And after some well-deserved hot showers and long naps on Saturday afternoon we enjoyed (well, I enjoyed, Cheri tolerated) the free Craig Morgan concert.  And Sunday we went to Burgess Falls and enjoyed a little hiking.  At least rain makes for good waterfall viewing. 

I hope to go back and run this race again in good weather so I can actually enjoy it!

1 comment:

Diana said...

Congrats!! It sounds like my husbands first 1/2 marathon. It started raining as soon as the race started, poured the whole time he was running and then stopped as he was running toward the finish line. It was at the beach , which is low lying , and lots of the roads were flooded. Blisters all over his feet where his water logged shoes rubbed his feet.
Congrats on your finish. The falls are beautiful!!