Thursday, July 2, 2009

Almost show time

We are just a few days away from the obedience trial and I'm just not sure how prepared I am. Zodiac did do perfect articles today-all 12-so that was great. His go-outs were good but once he tried to avoid the jump on the way back. Gloves were a bit of a challenge tonight and he is creeping forward on his signal exercise. Even though I don't really expect to pass it would be nice if he at least did as good as I know he can. I'm not really worried about the rally, although I have not been practicing the exercises at all lately.
I have not been working with Legend nearly enough in obedience lately. But she did a nice novice routine tonight. I think it's more about her maturity level than the training. She picks up on stuff so quick and loves to work. Sometimes I think she may have an obedience career in her future (on the side of course-I want agility to be her main sport) but then she goes in the ring and puts on more of a comedy act. I think once we get past novice it may be better-she hates heeling but loves some of the other exercises-jumping, retrieving, etc. I'm not too worried about the rally with her either, although again, not much practicing.
We had a nice agility class last night. There was a good course set up for us to run. Legend did good but not great-never got through the course clean. I was a little disappointed that she needed so much help with the pinwheel-I had to go really deep into the pocket, since we've been working so hard on stuff like that. And she's blowing off her contacts which is really my fault-well, what isn't right? But I've been working so hard on distance, handling, speed, and discriminations that when she does the contact obstacle quickly or correctly chooses it over the tunnel I have not been enforcing her 2o/2o like I should. So today we went back to the target for a bit. She did great-flew over, came to a solid stop and held it until I released her. And I threw her toy when I released. The use of the target and the toy was great. It got her moving over it fast, stopping hard, and then bolting away again.
I think that wraps up our training update!

4 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Glad training is going well - good luck at the obedience trial!

Anonymous said...

good luck this weekend!

becky

Sue said...

Hope you have a good time and good results.

Elizabeth said...

Just have fun, that's what it's all about and the rest will come along...