Monday, March 17, 2008

Holly


My rabbit Holly passed away today. On Friday she started acting sick and not eating so we treated her with fluids and medications all weekend but she didn't get much better. Today I brought her to work to check out her teeth and make sure they were not overgrown somewhere and to do some tests. Most bunnies (like Holly, who was nick-named "Crazy Buns") need to be sedated for this and she died under the anesthesia. After she died I wanted to know what was wrong with her and found that she had intestinal cancer-there were at least two tumors that I saw before I stopped looking. Since she got so sick so fast and died with very safe anesthesia I suspect that it had probably spread to other places like her lungs. Although I am sad at least I know there was nothing else I could have done. She certainly would not have survived surgery even if we had known that's what was wrong with her. We hope that Wiggles won't be too lonely-they have never been apart in more than 6 years.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. We are thinking of getting our kiddos 2 bunnies for Easter.

Melissa said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like you did all that you could, and I bet it is reassuring that you know what caused it.