Monday, June 2, 2008

So how far was it?


I am still planning on running a 5K in July but the last 4-5 weeks I have only been running about twice a week. I think I've been getting a little bored with the treadmill. Tonight, however, seemed like a great evening for an outdoor run. I never run by myself outside (I've seen too many "48 Hours Mysteries" shows on TV and plus someone sent me a website where you can see where all the convicted felons live around you-creepy) but Jerry was happy to come along so off we went on a big loop around our house. We had a really nice run-it was the first time in quite some time I have not run on the treadmill and thus the first time in a long time I got to do any downhill running. Based on the time of our run and compared to the same effort put forth on the treadmill I had guessed the run at 2.5-2.75 miles. So we got in the car in measured it-3.4 miles. That hardly seemed right so we drove it in the truck-3.3 miles. Huh. Either both vehicles are wrong or my treadmill is clearly calibrated wrong. I'm hoping it's the treadmill because that would mean I'm in better shape than I thought. That's the thing about road races though. You can never be sure how they were measured and how accurate they are. Sometimes you get a good time and you don't know if you can believe it or not. Oh well-what can you do?

No comments: