Thursday, October 1, 2009

Help wanted

Every time we hire someone new at work we get to read all the applications. Tragically, this is frequently very entertaining. I have decided to share with you some excerpts of the less than stellar applicants. I should have been writing these down from the beginning but I didn't think of it until now so these are all from the last few batches and what I can remember.


On the section where they list reasons for leaving previous jobs

  • got pregnant

  • had baby

  • was having my baby (right now?)

  • moved away

  • quit

  • pregnant

  • needed to finish my house

  • quit for school

  • no brakes (yes that was the spelling they used)

  • wanted new job

  • unwanted home visits from management (???)

For the answer to the question what do you think is the most important part of this job

  • making sure the doctor has his "heart beat tool" in the exam room (I can only assume this person meant a stethoscope. And did I mention this person had an on-line vet tech certificate)

For the answer to the question how are you unique

  • one arm is longer than the other

  • tolerant of animals scratching/biting me

  • have done rudimentary stitching

  • raised on a farm and have "messed with" all kinds of animals

For the answer to why do you want to work here-this usually includes some version of how much they love animals but we have also gotten the following

  • I like all animals except arachnids

  • need job

  • this would be a really cool experience

  • it would be an easier job for me because I'm pregnant and I love animals

  • Because I love animals. Especially dogs. I have a golden retriever mix. (exactly as written-no editing here!)

Other interesting tidbits

  • "I have work in nursing for 10 year"

  • using the word "poopy"

  • using the term n/a under some portion of the education section (such as did you graduate high school, um should we assume that's a "no"? Because then you should just put "no")

  • Abbreviating assistant as "ass"

  • One misspelled her name on her resume

  • One person listed his biggest job disappointment as failing a drug test. Same person answered the why are you unique question by stating he was a perfectionist. Did I mention he turned in an application that had clearly been wadded up at some point?

9 comments:

baystatebrumby said...

Hah! I too have seen some pretty funny applications in my prfessional life, but that one who has "messed with" animals on the farm does not sound nice! Where I work, sometimes people send their photos! Which I guess isn't that cuckoo, but you should see some of the POSES!!!!!! ooooooh deeeear....

manymuddypaws said...

lol those are awesome...

we always have a great time laughing at all the crappy resumes that people hand in....

haha, thanks for the laugh..

Paint Girl said...

Oh, you are bringing back sooo many memories of my management job! I was the one that went through applications, called them to set up interviews, interviewed them, and hired them. WOW! I've seen a lot of those responses, but what really gets me is when they came into the interview in holey jeans, tank top and flip flops (we were a professional business, slacks, blouse, nice top, nice shoes).
What's even funnier is one of the questions we had to ask was "why do you want to work here?" the response "I love this store!" Okay, need a little more than just loving the store!
So, yeah, totally understand!! It sure gave us all a good laugh though!

Sara said...

Those are hysterical. You really have the makings of a good book with your stories.

tervnmal said...

Those are great! Reminds me of the people who come into our office (newspaper) and want to know if we're hiring. Um . . . apparently they have not been READING the newspaper or they'd know we've had four rounds of staff cuts and department closings in the last 18 months. No one with good sense would be trying to get a job in the newspaper industry right now!
Great blog, fun pics.

TC said...

The messed with animals got me, the heart beat tool was pretty self explanatory but.......

Sirius Scientist said...

I actually had a person's mother come in and fill out the application, ask to speak to me about the likelihood of her son getting the job (glowing review of character I might add), and then hand in the application she just finished.

When I explained her son should be the one filling out the application and that it would have been better for me to speak with him in person, it took a minute but she eventually realized (oh of course!). . . She went home and picked him up and wanted to sit through the interview with him.

It's amazing . . and SCARY!!

Sirius Scientist said...

.. on another note, I actually had the following response for why you left your previous job: prison.

I also had an individual want written confirmation they had been applying for jobs for welfare or some other federal assistance program (maybe unemployment, can't remember). They then added they didn't actually want a job, but had to keep applying to get their monthly check. . . . *sigh*

Sarah said...

For a few months after college I had a job through a temp agency, working in the HR office at an inner city high school. I had access to all the resumes that had ever been turned in, and I was so shocked at the awful grammar, spelling, and content of them. These were from people wanting to be teachers! This was totally illegal, but I used to sneak and make copies of some of them just so I could bring them home to show Steve.