Thursday, October 15, 2009

What do you think?

I've never had a small agility dog before and I've been trying to decide if I should do running contacts or 2o2o. My initial thought was running contacts but she seems to have some lack of self control issues-she's very excitable and VERY food motivated. More food motivated than any dog I've ever had or worked with. So now I'm thinking she might need something alittle more defined. Anyway, small dog people-what's your thought?

Meanwhile the big dogs are getting ready for the local obedience trial this weekend. Since I work (fooey) I will only show Sunday. Legend will by trying for her last CD leg and Zodiac will work on another RAE leg and get some more ring experience in utility. He's been having trouble with metal articles lately but everything else is moderately solid (as in he can do it all but not usually all on the first try on the same day). Like I said, we're just looking for more experience!

5 comments:

Greg S said...

I'm not a small dog person, but we have a Boston in our class that has nice running contacts, and my daughter's Papillon was training with running contacts as well. The little dog's stride definitely lends them to easier running contacts than the bigger dogs, HOWEVER, there is also a local competitor with a little Boston who tried to train running contacts and that little dog would leap from 1/2 way down the AFrame. So... moral of the story is, don't take it for granted that a running contact will be a given with a little dog. Easier yes, but guaranteed no. The leaping Boston has now been retrained with a stop on the contact, but its very slow creepy and unsure.

Diana said...

I agree with Greg. I thought Miley was small enough for running contacts. Boy was I wrong. But she is also a lot bigger than your dog. ( 13 3/4 inches and 13 lbs). If I had it to do over again, I would train a 20/20 first and then switch to a running and see how the dog does. Diana

Anonymous said...

i would teach 2on2off- a pom has a good structure for agility, and I don't think she'd have a problem getting into position.

we have lots of little dogs in classes- we teach 2on2off to all of them unless they are not physically able (dachsie)

amanda

CK said...

I say it depends on the dog. Bradley is more velcro and stop contacts are not needed for him he doesn't bail off the contacts and if I stop he stops and he only runs as fast as I do. Bentley is a speed demon and needs solid 2 on 2 off. Yes they both Bostons. You just have to watch how you pull them off the teeter because if you don't move forward fast enough I have seen several get hit in the but with the teeter.

Nicki said...

Thanks everyone. I think I'll start with 2o2o and see how it goes.