Friday, October 2, 2009

Pinecone art


When I was mowing the lawn the other day I collected a bunch of pinecones from the yard. I figured I could do something with them better than just running them over with the tractor.
I remembered seeing wax covered pinecones at a store and thought maybe I could try that. I found candle wax and dye at Micheal's. The wax melts easy and the dye mixes right in. I found it was best to let the wax cool a few minutes before dipping as the wax fresh from the stove was so hot it didn't stick well. But once it reaches optimal temperature it only takes about 3 dips to make a nice pinecone. I dipped them in cool water between wax dips. Next time I think I will fill my cups a little fuller so I can dip all the way up to the stem. I actually have some gold dye too and I think the three colors together will make a nice Christmas collection. Add a cute basket and you have a pretty easy project! Clean-up however, is a downside. I would recommend disposable cups for the dipping and minimal use of any other dishes or utensils you use. It's a little hard to get the wax off but letting hot water run over it for a little while seemed to rinse most of it off. You have to use water hot enough to burn your hands though so it's a bit tricky!


These are not the best photos but you get the idea.

4 comments:

Sara said...

That is so cute! I love the colors you chose.

Martha Stewart has a trick to get wax off glass and other stuff....put it in the freezer for an hour or so. Then, the wax pops off with your finger nail or knife.

Sue said...

Those are very pretty. You could also dust them with gold or silver glitter for a holiday look.

I've used the freezer method of removing wax and it does work.

TC said...

Cool, I've never used the freezer method, I usually run hot water over the outside of something and then spatula it off to paper or something.
The only candle making I've done is to melt the ones that lost their wicks too early in stripes in another container tho. Like using soap slivers I suppose?

Learner Ros said...

nice