Monday, June 11, 2012

Brothers of the Sun

Disclaimer: this post is not about dogs or medicine, but does have some amusing anecdotes so choose if you want to continue...

My friend Linda and I packed our bags for Kansas City this weekend to see the big Tim McGraw/Kenny Chesney concert at Arrowhead Stadium.  I sort of feel like I had been waiting for this concert for 2 years since the last time I had tickets to a stadium show, this happened.  So, anyway, this year seemed to go off without a hitch.  Almost.  We arrived early and checked into our hotel and killed a little time there before leaving.  We should not have.  It took us over an hour to drive the 3 miles to the stadium!  Then we had to pay $27 to park.  By the time we got to our seats we had missed the first opening act and part of the second. Oh well, on to the main event.
I have to say that I was somewhat underwhelmed with Tim McGraw.  I'm not a huge fan anyway but I'm certainly not any bigger of a fan after that performance.  But I really didn't go to see him, it was just part of the package.  Here are a few pics though, for the Tim lovers out there.

 These pictures are of the big screen-actually most of my pictures are.  Although we had floor seats, they were pretty far back.  This gave me a fantastic view of the screens but not so much of the actual stage-such is life when you are five foot three.  I was aware of this issue when we decided to get floor seats but it was still worth it.
Then on to the main event...
Kenny did not disappoint and sang most of my favorite songs.  They concluded the concert with both Kenny and Tim doing a four song encore.

This picture is not of the screen-he started the concert on a smaller stage near our seats and we got to go over and get some pics, albeit into the setting sun.
The rest of these are of the screen but pretty good all things considered.



 Wouldn't be complete without a view from behind right?
And if you like crappy, bootleg concert video here is one for you.


After the concert we were starving and stopped at IHOP, like everyone else.  We waited 20 minutes for a table-not too bad considering.  But what was interesting is that IHOP not only needs a security guard (complete with bulletproof vest and multiple weapons), but he was performing double duty as host, busing tables and bringing people food and drinks.  We had lots of time to observe this because we got stuck with the waitress having a meltdown and waited over 30 minutes for our food.  There are a lot of interesting people at IHOP at 1:00 AM.  After watching our waitress spill a tray of drinks on one of her other tables we asked another waitress about our food.  Finally got to bed around two.  Incidentally the security guard patrols all the way down to the bank (wherever that was).  I'm thinking as busy as he was seating people at IHOP it would have been a great night to rob the bank!

2 comments:

Karissa said...

Oh how fun! I can't believe I've been reading your blog that long because I remember that post! :o)

I saw Kenny in concert in Madison MANY moons ago. It was a great show - I wasn't even a fan at the time (just went to meet an online friend from Canada) but he won me over! He's quite the entertainer.

I just watched another movie Tim McGraw is in the other day. I'm starting to like him more as an actor than a singer. lol

Sara said...

Wow! I've never been to a concert in such a huge area! That must have been really cool.

Can't remember the last time I saw 1am...maybe that's a good thing.