Saturday, May 3, 2014

End of an era

So the trial didn't go great.  As in 0/4.  Jumpers went ok, just little mishaps but standard was kind of a trainwreck for both.  Although Lyric did the teeter (very cautiously) it made her apprehensive about the a-frame and the dogwalk.  In fact she stopped dead in the middle of the dogwalk and crouched down all nervous.  She looked around like she might jump, so I just grabbed her telling the judge I didn't want her to jump.  He agreed with that decision!  Legend didn't do much better, caution on the teeter and refusing the a-frame.  She hasn't done that in forever.  Of course we have been doing mostly NADAC and both dogs seem happier there.  And if they are happy, I'm happy.

So, after many of years of AKC agility being our focus, I think we are moving on.  For the most part anyway.  We are entered one day of the local trial next month but I decided to pull my standard entry and just run jumpers.  That way we still get to have some fun and see all our AKC friends.  And we might do some at BC nationals or something like that.  But for now we will  focus on NADAC if we are doing agility.  But our big focus right now is nosework and tracking.  

Speaking of tracking, the trial site was at a rural fairgrounds arena with lots of fields, so we got in a track after our classes were done.  She did pretty good, only got off the scent once but she did overshoot the glove.  Also there were lots of bees in the field.  Which, if you have been reading this blog long enough you know that induced at least a moderate panic attack.  I did good though.  I just kept staring straight ahead and holding onto the line.  We made it!

Then we headed back home for a relaxing evening.  Everyone got in a nap (Zodiac accompanied us today but Reaghan stayed home) and then Legend got in some nosework and Lyric some CGC practice.  Now, more napping for them.  And tomorrow the Diva Dash Half-marathon!

2 comments:

Karissa said...

It's always good when we listen to our dogs and place their needs ahead of our own goals. It's not always an easy decision.

It's been almost a year since I've gone to a USDAA trial. I love the courses, I love the atmosphere -- but Secret didn't. But for whatever reason she thinks AKC is pretty cool, so we are happy to play there now instead (plus Kaiser can play, so double bonus!). We might try again eventually, but for now I'm just not worrying about it.

You guys are plenty busy with everything else you do, so I'm sure you won't even have time to miss it!

Nicki said...

It seemed odd to realize I just wasn't having fun anymore, but that's just the way it was! On to new adventures!