Thursday, February 12, 2009

Stay

There are two things that poeple do when they are using the command "stay" that just drive me crazy. The first group are the people that tell their dog "stay" when they leave the house or put the dog in a run or kennel. They often also point their finger at the dog for good measure. Ok-if your dog actually stays where you left it for the next eight hours then you are amazing, but for most people this just teaches the dog that this is an optional command since no one is around to enforce it. These same people then don't understand why the dog won't "stay" in other situations?

The other group of people fail to realize that the dog needs some consistent signal to let them know the "stay" is over. Apparently they think the dogs are mind readers and get upset when the dogs start guessing about when to get up. Sometimes people fall into both traps-I can't imagine how confused their dogs are.

I will be teaching stay in obedience class tonight and even though I will explain all of this some people will still do it wrong. People are hard to train.





4 comments:

Splash said...

I haven't come up with a decent signal for "you are done" yet. At least not one any of my dogs understand. I use "break" (short for "take a break"), which I think the Labs understand. At 14 weeks, Ki is just a Padawan learner of course.

My big pet peeve, and I have seen even the greatest trainers do this and it always makes me grind my teeth, is this:
1) heel with attention
2) you are done, treat.
3) the dog stands at heel with attention because he is still on leash next to mom (or dad) and thinks the game might still be one.

I think it was Susan Garrett or maybe Jen Pinder that suggested simply holding the dog's collar. Very different to the dog.

I can tell you for sure that Splash appreciates the distinction and is a happier dog for it.

'k end rant.....I should really be more positive.

Sue said...

That's why I use 'wait' if I'm going out the door or doing that I need them to be still for. When they move is their option. They don't have to sit there all day waiting for me to release them. It's more of a pause command than stay.

Greg S said...

The version of "stay" that makes me laugh is when someone is on the agility course with a fast dog, and they will do a contact obstacle and yell STAY when they get to the contact zone. What Stay? The dog kept going 100mph!

Chris and Ricky said...

We totally agree with the way that people misuse "stay". Mom uses "wait" with me if she is going out the door or something like that. She also uses "wait" for startline stays and recalls - because she's not coming back to get me but is releasing me to come to her.