Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Randomness

This is just another random photo-it does not look like this here anymore, most of the snow has melted.

I woke up yesterday with more congestion and a throbbing pain in one ear. I suspected I might have a sinus infection since a common cold should have come and gone by now. I didn't want to wait to get in and see a doctor since they would probably just give a prescription for antibiotics and call it good so I wrote "my dog" a prescription and had it filled at Walgreens. "My dog" no longer has an ear ache and is slightly less congested today. I am hoping "my dog" will be all better soon.

Meanwhile it's pretty cold here and not wanting to prolong my illness I have elected not to take the dogs out to play this afternoon. They are pretty bummed about it and so am I since I have some new things I am anxious to get started working on with Legend. I wish we had a basement so we could set up some sort of training indoors.

I am hosting a baby shower this weekend and so sometime this week I need to squeeze in getting the house cleaned up for a lot of company and figuring out where everyone will sit! We have plenty of space in our house which is why I volunteered to have it but not so many chairs. At least if someone has to sit on the carpet they are freshly cleaned!

And now, from the "what are people thinking" collection...

The clinic has a client (she's not my client, for obvious reasons) who has decided to purchase a "something"-poo (I think a malti-poo). I don't understand why people don't realize this is an overpriced mixed breed dog. I like mixed breed dogs but you can get one for significantly less money at the humane society while at the same time not encouraging "breeders" to produce an endless supply of pet quality mixes that they can charge an arm and a leg for while similar dogs are put to sleep at shelters every day. And you know that they are not choosing the best poodles and malteses to breed because no respectable poodle or maltese breeder would allow that to happen. So you are probably paying for a mixed breed dog with luxating patellas, an underbite, and umbilical hernia. Beyond that the puppy's tail is not docked and she wanted to know if she should have that procedure done now that the puppy is old enough to make it a major surgery. Well, since a malti-poo is not a breed and has no breed standard and the AVMA has recently taken a position against all tail docking and ear cropping I think that docking the puppy's tail now would be inappropriate. But then again so is the whole situation. See why she's not my client?

5 comments:

Sue said...

I agree completely, why pay mucho dollars for a mixed breed with no health record and then why on earth would anyone want the tail docked? Are these people nuts?

I have a couple deck chairs if you'd like me to bring them.

Greg S said...

Its awful that good dogs don't get homes because some moron wants the latest "designer" dog with some cute breed name concoction. No better than the fools with accidental (I hope!) backyard breedings sitting in the Safeway parking lot with "puppies for sale" signs taped to their pickups.
It also doesn't help that the new President is investigating these whatever-doodles to bring into the White House. Just get a poodle.

Wife and I are going to be close to your neck of the woods at a USDAA trial in Lawrence Kansas this weekend.

Sara said...

Glad to hear your "dog's" ear ache is going away :) That story had me laughing!

I am glad to hear about the AVMA's new position on tail docking and ear cropping. I never quite understood that.

LuLu and LoLLy! said...

We are 2 Maltese dogs and while we like to think we are desint looking this bunch is super duper cute! :) you should enter the pikture in the Humane Society contest! There is info at the Humane Society webpage and also it's posted on the Links at our website, http://www.luluandlolly.com! Love, Your PaLs, LuLu and LoLLy! http:/w/ww.luluandlolly.com

Chris and Ricky said...

Hope you are feeling much better today! Sinus infections and ear aches are no fun at all!