Monday, April 13, 2009

More food, less drugs

Oreo accompanied me to work today. He was in dire need of a bath and brushing. And so I brushed and brushed and brushed. I think I could have made a whole other dog out of the hair. His coat is so thick. He looks tremendously better but I could still get more hair off him. I did weigh him today and was surprised to find he was down to 44 lbs (I had previously been trying to keep him at 48). He doesn't seem much thinner to me, I think he's just losing a lot of muscle mass-I have definitely noted his back bone getting more prominent. He otherwise seems to be doing great-no new problems so we are going to up his food. He's excited about that. He's been eating great lately.

Some of you may be wondering about the cat on Prozac. Well, the experiment has ended. She was gorked out on the meds that she just sat and stared into space. She actually let me carry her around for an extended period of time (not normal) and a few times left some food in her bowl. She didn't show much interest in coming in the house and was not even using her special litter box in the garage regularly. So all the goals of the experiment were defeated. We have settled for letting her in when we can keep an eye on her and limiting her access to only certain rooms. Seems to be working well. She gets to drink from the big water bowl, get harassed by Icy and get in some social time.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Too bad the prozac didn't help much. I wonder if drugs like that are less effective on pets, because there is no chance of a "placebo" effect.