Thursday, May 14, 2009

The horse doctor is in


A few times a year I get to play "horse vet." It's usually the day I decide I better vaccinate my own horses or draw blood for a Coggins test or attend to some minor ailment. Today was the day I decided to vaccinate my boys. We ordered vaccine at work, I remembered to bring an ice pack with me today and it was a nice evening when I arrived home. So even though I was tired I figured I better not put it off for no reason. Today really seemed like the appropriate day to do it-after all I only ever really worked on horses when I was in school and I graduated 5 years ago today! I have also had dewormer sitting on the kitchen counter forever that I needed to give. Squirt was easy-he doesn't care too much what you do to him. Moses is sometimes hard to catch but today just stood there and let me halter him-yeah. He's usually super hard to deworm but today I only fought him for a few minutes before he gave in. So all in all it went well.



In the spring, when the weather is nice mostly what you do is give vaccines and check on cute new babies I think I would like to work on horses. But most of the time when the reality of middle of the night colics in all weather and getting kicked or drug around or both sets in then I remember why I don't.

2 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Glad to hear the horses were pretty good for their shots and deworming! Fritzy is a pain in the butt to deworm. It's always a huge struggle. I used to give my horses their shots but the needles really freak me out, so I just let my vet do it now!

April said...

Gorgeous horses and beautiful pictures! :)