Thursday, December 31, 2009

Squirt

The real horse vet came to x-ray Squirt's leg yesterday. The news was not too bad I guess. He has a lot arthritis in his carpal joint (that's the one that looks like the knee on the front leg) and she thinks he probably fractured off a piece of the proliferative bony tissue that you get with arthritis and that's what caused the sudden lameness. Now he has a lot of inflammation in the joint and so he's just hanging out resting for another 6 weeks. Not like I was going to ride him much in January anyway! If he's still lame after that may need to inject his joint to get him rideable again. I was a little surprised to hear that he had so much arthritis in the joint-it's not like he's ever been worked hard on a regular basis but then I remembered he is almost 14 and does not have the greatest forelimb conformation. I can't believe he's so "middle-aged." He always seems like a goofy young kid to me-maybe that's because of his dog-like personality and lack of professional training!

1 comment:

Chris and Ricky said...

Glad the news wasn't horrible! Hope the rest helps Squirt feel much better!