Saturday, October 23, 2010

Seriously?

For those of you who don't live in Missouri, Proposition B is a bill widely knows as the puppy mill law.  Essentially it calls for stricter regulations for large scale breeding facilities to improve the care and quality of life of those dogs. 

While at the BC specialty this week there was a vehicle with the following bumper sticker

Love your pet?
Thank a breeder.
Vote NO on Proposition B

So I started to wonder exactly which "breeder" I should thank for my dogs. 

Is it Zodiac's breeder who sold (or gave, not sure) him to a family that essentially left him to fend for himself in the backyard with no medical care, toys, training, or socialization?

Is is Legend's breeder who sold her to a family or single parent with a baby who didn't have time for her, kept her tied part of the time in the yard, and left her at the humane society when she was four months old?

Or is it Lyric's breeder who sold her with an underbite and two luxating patellas to a home that gave her minimal medical care, let her get heartworms and then gave her to another family who opted to euthanize her rather than treat her?

I love my dogs but there is no way I would ever thank any of these breeders.  And not that there aren't good responsible breeders out there but where your dog came from should not really have any bearing on whether or not you love him or her.  To even insinuate that it does is superficial and self-serving on the part of the "breeder."  If I had a sound, healthy dog with a good temperament that I got from a breeder I would happily thank them-but I would not love that dog any more or any less if it came from the pound or anywhere else.  And what about all our mixed breed dogs that we love?  Should we thank the irresponsible pet owner who let their dog have puppies with whatever dog was wandering the street?  I should certainly hope not!

I do have a some people I would like to thank though...
  • Zodiac's first family (oddly enough) for having the decency to relinquish him to a no-kill rescue. 
  • Happy Tails for asking us to foster him
  • Nebraska Border Collie rescue for pulling Legend from the humane society and letting me adopt her
  • Myself for refusing to put Lyric to sleep
  • And whoever (God, fate, luck?) made sure she didn't come in on my day off, hate to know what might have happened!
The moral of this story...

Vote YES on Proposition B

Ok, I know this post does not specifically relate to why you should vote yes but it does illustrate one of the very poor points the opponents of the bill are trying to use.  Either way, who would rationally be against better care for these dogs and the elimination of puppy mills? 

And yes, I will be posting results and photos following our last day of competition tomorrow!

7 comments:

andrea said...

so so so well said

We adore our dogs and not a breeder to thank either

Brody - my little puppy mill special who was sold to a broker then to a family who was afraid of him?

Thea - bred my idiots who abandoned her pregnant mum?

Sally - bred by people who didn't realie "doggy brothers and sisters do it?" DOH

Sampson - bred and sold to people who turned him over to a high volume shelter the minute life got a little difficult

GAH phooey

Sarah said...

This is a big coincidence! After reading a few articles about this, I was sure I was going to vote yes, but then someone posted a few links on FB today about why we should vote no, and I wondered if I was missing something. I seriously just said to Steve less than an hour ago, "Maybe I'll email my vet friend and see what she thinks." So, thanks for saving me the trouble!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

GREAT post!!! Some of the "big" breeders really upset me, and people as consumers who either dont know what to ask or who dont care as long as they get the dog they want, breeders who are not particular about who they sell their pups too...how some of the moms are treated when they are just kept for breeding purposes and sit in a kennel their whole lives until they retire...the dogs with health problems- that are coming out of even some of the big kennels with big names, and they do not seem too concerned as long as they get a few good dogs out of it, .......it makes me really sad
;-(

Sara said...

I don't know a lot about the bill, but I don't see how anyone who loves animals could vote "no".

Any law that will keep animals out of rescue/humane societies, and ensure more pets live in healthy conditions just makes sense. A quality breeder would understand.

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing this.

TC said...

I'm in MO too. Animal Rescue is MY charity (I can only afford one). Proposition B isn't a bad bill, it is just NOT ENOUGH. I think they should eliminate all large scale breeders that don't raise dogs in some sort of home environment or @ least provide socialization for the dogs. End of soapbox...there's a reason MO is the puppymill and meth capital of the US, jobs and money would help.
BTW I have relatives that are home breeders, HOME is the operative word as is socialization...

Sue said...

You know this topic is near and dear to me. We've done rescue of abused puppies for years and bad breeders exist in large facilities and in the home across the street. Unfortunately people who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions and their children' s behavior are not going to take responsibility for the lives of the dogs they carelessly produce.

Prop B doesn't go far enough, but it's s good start and we'll be voting YES.

I do we thanks to a couple of fine breeders who produced Samba and Fudge and entrusted me with them. I've tried to be responsible and hate that the word breeder has become a bad word.