Sunday, April 29, 2012

I'm back...with video!

Last week was not terribly exciting, mostly running and working and a bit of agility training.  But then Friday we were off to Wichita to what is sadly going to be the last NADAC Run4Rescue trial.  We had a good time, picked up a few Qs and had a surprise birthday celebration for Cheri while we were there.

Legend's summary...good parts
1.  Two Qs in elite regular, one in elite jumpers, and one in elite tunnelers.
2.  She nailed all but one set of weave poles and there she missed the entrance, not the exit.
3. She only refused one A-frame all weekend.
4.  She had a beautiful discrimination at a high speed, from a distance.
5.  Lovely run with Cheri in jumpers but just missed course time.  They probably would have made it if they were more used to running together.

and the not as good parts...
6.  She did refuse one A-frame-thought we might be over that.
7.  Missed more than one discrimination-she has been nailing most of them at home so I was a little bummed about this.
8.  All our hard work and still no chances Qs.  But she is at least starting to get it-she tries to figure out what I want and offer things instead of standing on the line staring at me!

Overall, while she did have a few ho-hum moments I thought her speed and drive were quite nice this weekend.  She did the "out" line of a chances run which consisted of four hoops in a gear I don't think I have ever seen at a trial.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  Actually she finished almost all her runs ahead of me as I sprinted to keep up!  And as a bonus a friend and trainer from KC even commented on how much improvement she has shown and all the teamwork we had going.

Lyric's summary...good stuff
1.  One Q in open weavers (new title!), one in elite jumpers, two in elite regular, and one in open jumpers.
2.  This little dog is getting faster all the time!
3.  Got all but one set of weave poles on the first try!  Last trial she did not complete a single set!
4.  No chances Qs but is making some progress, small steps but getting somewhere.

and not so good...
5.  Missed almost all the discriminations!  I know we need more work on this but still didn't expect it to be that bad!  I don't really have anything else that I wasn't happy with this weekend.  Tunnel sucking and missed discriminations were most of our issues.

NADAC keeps track of the top 10 dogs by breed for each year for each class.  You need 30 points in elite to be eligible for the list.  There are only a handful of Poms that make the list so this year Lyric is going to take a crack at top dog.  It looks like our main competition is a dog named Pepper.

Ok here are some videos...

Legend in elite jumpers with me handling.  I tried to video the one with Cheri as well but the camera died after the first jump.


Legend in elite regular.  I don't usually post videos where she refuses the A-frame because I don't like those, but the rest of this run is so nice and it shows off her best discrimination of the weekend.  She was flying down a line of hoops and I was nowhere near her at the time but she listened like a champ-training is starting to pay off!


This is probably the fastest Lyric has ever run.  For the NADAC people out there, she got a DRI of 90 on this run.  And although I don't really understand what this is or how it's calculated I am fairly certain 90 is pretty good.  Her YPS was 4.87-not bad for short stuff.


And here is Lyric finishing her open weavers title


And one of Lyric's elite regular Qs.


Meanwhile, back at home...Kahuna has climbed out the x-pen overnight three times now!  Fortunatly he's pretty well behaved so this had not ended badly for our house or for him.  We had to make a pen from a taller cage and so far that seems to be working.


2 comments:

Sara said...

Lyric is so cute! She's like a little ball of bouncing fur.

Great runs!

Karissa said...

I can't help but smile the entire time I watch Lyric run! Seriously, she is so cute.

Congrats on the Q's and great runs! Bummer about Chances -- I know how that goes! :o)