Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bees

I've never been afraid of bees. I figured if I left them alone, they would not bother me. Until now. We've had bees living in our barn this summer-they lurk around the door where I throw out the day to the horses. They never seemed bothered that I worked around them and we all just lived happily together until I accidentally threw some hay on one. This apparently made it really mad because it stung me in the ankle when I went over to get my hay. I guess this wasn't good enough because when I jumped and got him off my foot he stung me under one arm and when I swatted him off he went to sting me under the other arm. By this time I'm totally freaking out because I don't know how to get him off me without getting stung again. I finally got away (with about 5 stings) and all was good, except for all the pain-bumble bee stings really hurt!

Jerry went out eventually and sprayed the bees he saw but apparently there were more because a few days later I was out feeding and there was a bee crawling around. I didn't bother him, all I did was open the door and he came flying at me-essentially unprovoked! I ran off but still managed to get stung once in the arm. So all of Sunday, in between setting fence posts Jerry was in the barn spraying bees. We got about a dozen killed total but there are still more so now every time I go to the barn I'm like sneaking in and looking for bees so I can hurry up, get my hay, and leave. If the bees are close to the door I just take my hay out the other way and throw it over the fence.

I'm not sure if this new fear of bees in unreasonable or not but lately I've pretty much been freaking out if I think a bee might be near by! I've been bit/stung by other stuff before but none hurt as much as these dudes!

And here is Barney-just for fun. I don't think he is afraid of bees.

9 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Sorry to hear you got stung so often! When mom was a kid, she and my grandpa were using a sickle to cut a path through some tall grass and they hacked into a yellow jacket nest! Mom's sweatshirt was instantly covered by them and both she and grandpa got stung all over! So she can really sympathize with your fear!

Sara said...

Bees hurt!

Our bees tend to make nests in holes in the ground. We wait until dark, when they are all in the hole for the night. Then, we pour gasoline in the hole and light it on fire. Does the trick! Not so sure that would be a good idea around hay though!

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Queen and worker bumblebees can sting, but unlike a honey bee's, a bumblebee's stinger lacks barbs -- so they can sting more than once. Bumblebee species are normally non-aggressive, but will sting in defense of their nest, or if harmed. Since bees sting when threatened, the best way to avoid getting stung is to avoid nesting areas. Bumblebees will nest in the ground. A suitable place for nesting is usually on the ground, beneath a flat object. An old mouse hole or similar hole in the ground is preferred if it is underneath an old tarp, flat stone or man made objects such as a deck. The hole chosen by the queen bee is first padded by pieces of vegetation such as dry grass or moss; maybe hay. I suspect you were unknowingly around a nest. If the bee is on a flower or other surface and is feeling threatened it will raise one of its middle legs. This is a sign that you are too close and should back off a bit. Swatting at the bee only increases it's defenses; thus multiple stings. You may want to have an exterminator thoroughly check the barn as some nests can get quite large.

http://www.pestproducts.com/bumble-bee-control.htm

Daddy

Nicki said...

That's great (not really). We were afraid there might be a hive in the barn but we were looking up, not down. It's probably under the palates. Maybe we will have an exterminator come before the next load of hay-which needs to be soon.

Sue said...

We have one bird feeder that wasps have taken over . They build their little structures inside that feeder and if we too close they threaten. We just gave up on that feeder and leave them alone. I guess we need to do something with it, but not sure what. Our bees pretty much mind their own business.

Diana said...

It would be one thing if you just got stung once. But 5 times, thats alot. I'd bee (lol) afraid too. I hope you get rid of them. Diana

Heather Gerquest said...

I think that if you can see the middle leg of a bee raise up, you are definitely TOO CLOSE!

Those are aggressive bees!

Paint Girl said...

So sorry to hear you got stung so many times!! I have never been stung by a bee, so I don't know how painful it is, and even though I have never been stung, I have an fear of getting stung!
The bee's are really bad here this year, actually they aren't at my house like usual but when we were on our annual horse trip, the bees were everywhere! I am so surprised that no one, horse or human, got stung!! That is how bad they were!
Hope you can find the nest and get them taken care of!

CK said...

Sure am glad you are ok. I am allergic to bees and they scare the hell out of me. So I guess I am not a good one to judge your fear by. My grandmother raises honey bees and I do everything I can to stay as far away as possible. One of my fears is watching one of the boys get stung or swarmed on when we are at her house and not being able to do anything about because of what they do to me. Who and I am kidding I would run out there and try to save my dog no matter what would happen to me.