Sunday, August 9, 2009

Fail

This weekend we planned to go to the state forest (it's about 15 minutes from our house) late Saturday afternoon, do some hiking, BBQ, spend the night and head home in the morning. Most of that went down according to plan.

We arrived and set up our tent and all our stuff and then headed off with the dogs for a 4 mile hike. Legend thought this was great, especially getting to play in all the creeks we crossed-she loved sprinting around and flopping and playing in the water. Zodiac was slightly less impressed but did seem to have a good time and cooled off by laying down in all the creeks. Legend actually seemed a little tired when we got back to the campsite.







Back at camp we had a yummy dinner with some good BBQ and then the dogs relaxed with some treats while we watched the sun set and all the bats fly around. Zodiac even spotted an armadillo wandering across the trail.
As it got dark we headed into the tent for the night-that's when things started to go downhill. We had not brought the pad to place on the ground and the three blankets I brought didn't do much to cushion the hard ground at all. Then, the bugs were super loud-I generally like to have the windows open at night in the nice months of the year and don't mind the sounds of nature but this was pretty intense. Plus the campgrounds are close enough to the highway to hear all the traffic and every loud truck that came through sounded like it was going to come plowing through the weeds into the campground. And there was of course the occasional mysterious and unidentified animal sound. So now we were hot, uncomfortable, a little spooked, and unable to sleep with all the noise. About 10:15 as we laid there awake and a little miserable we had that "I don't need to stay if you don't want to" conversation and decided to pack it up and go home to a soft bed, cool, quiet house, and hot shower. And it was worth it.
We'd try camping again, but perhaps under better circumstances.

7 comments:

Sue said...

We do get a little spoiled by the comforts of home, don't we?

Sara said...

The one time I went camping, I ended up sleeping in the car. Never went camping again! LOL. Maybe if I had an RV.

Chris and Ricky said...

Sounds like you did all the best parts any way - hiking, bbq-ing - the sleeping in the tent is the worst part to me!

Paint Girl said...

The first thing on my list to not forget, the air mattress! I can't sleep on hard ground!
I also freak out with all the strange noises around, not sure if it's a bear, cougar or something crazy! But I still love camping! Although we haven't been in years!
At least you tried! And yes, there is nothing better than your own bed!

Diana said...

LOL that sounds like something I would do. But I think I would say, "Im not staying here another minute. Lets go". Diana

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I second the comment there is nothing better then sleeping in your own bed, LOL

TC said...

I've tried camping twice, the first time we slept in the pickup camper, the ground shook from lighting and there was actually a tornado. Second time ditto but minus the tornado but it lasted all night, oh yeah there was a third, sounds like your experience only with drunks and we couldn't go home for some reason? No more camping, roasting hot dogs @ the edge of the lawn is FINE with me.