Sunday, August 16, 2009

Full House

This goofy kid is Eli. He's staying with us this week until he goes to his foster home next weekend. He and his sister Alli are both available through MOKAN. You can see more pictures of them on the website. He's a loud and solid puppy. He loves to play long and hard and he will let you know when naptime is over! He's been trying to get everyone to play with him. You can see he harassed Legend during her ball playing time today. She tolerated this.



He loves Foxy since they are closer to the same size but Foxy is not impressed and stayed on the deck.
Even Barney stayed on the other side of the fence. Poor Eli.
He did manage to have a good time though. Since they swam in the lake yesterday I decided to just fill up the pool for them tonight and let them get messy. Eli was not happy about being put in the pool but he did think it made a great water bowl.
Before play time the dogs worked. Zodiac did not have an impressive utility practice, but not awful. Legend is still working on when to choose the "close" vs "far" obstacle and I'm starting to hang back and make her do all the weave poles ahead of me instead of baby sitting to the end. It slows her down some but I'm sure once she realizes she's responsible for all of them without help she will speed back up. We have also been working on some exercises from control unleashed.
Icy is very upset over the extra dogs, and surprisingly it seems to be mostly Foxy. I guess she's used to us having a puppy kenneled in the kitchen-we've had so many in the last year (well, not that many, but enough that she knows they are not running loose and bothering her). I do find it odd that she's so traumatized however because it's not like Foxy does anything. And when I say she doesn't do anything, I don't just mean she doesn't do anything to bother the cat, I mean she doesn't do anything at all. She does not bark, run, chase, or play. She doesn't even move much-mostly she just lays around. It's odd for us to have a dog in the house that doesn't constantly want to be doing something, but nice. I do have to keep removing her from the couch though-she doesn't understand why she can't be there. Anyway, I made Icy go and eat something tonight since she has barely left the bedroom since Foxy got here. I'm sure she'll adjust in a few more days. Plus Foxy will start her treatment soon and will have to stay confined a lot more. I did feel guilty though and made Icy a new fluffy bed today. She liked the one I made for Oreo but since no one (well, no dogs) was using it in the bedroom I moved it to the computer room to make more floor space in the bedroom. Now she has a nice little cat sized bed in the bedroom.
Maybe I need to get out more? Actually Jerry is away at his last football game and I'm not used to spending Sunday alone. Guess I should have gone with Leslie after all, but then I would not have had this fascinating post for you all to read!




4 comments:

Sue said...

Eli is a doll, looks like a typical puppy. Is Foxy too sick to move around much or is she just a couch potato?

Border Collie Mom said...

Instead of slowing down, try pulling away from the weaves at an angle so that you are still moving the same speed as always, just not going to the end. You can build your degree of angle slowly over time until you running along becomes irrelevant.
Will you be in Glen Carbon this weekend? I haven't seen you in a while!

Chris and Ricky said...

Eli is a cutie! Wow - you do have a full house at the moment!

Nicki said...

Thanks Lori-I've tried that too but it either didn't work or I didn't work on it long enough. Probably a combination of both would work. I won't be at Glen Carbon-we kind of take the summer off since we get so busy. I'll be at Lawrence in early September and then at GSLAC later in the month!