Monday, September 21, 2009

Foster Failure Number 2

We tried not to keep her. We told everyone we weren't. I told myself we weren't. We had a lot of reasons not to. It was too soon, I don't have time, I should wait until Zodiac retires, it's so nice to just have two trained, healthy, dogs to take care of, etc., etc. Well, it didn't work. She was too cute and blended into our house too well, plus she makes me smile a lot. Eventually I wanted to have a Pom anyway and it seemed silly to rehome this one that I like so well and fits into our family just to go looking for another one a few years down the road. I'm sure we'll make it work out for the best and now I get to try my hand at small dog agility handling! A name change for her will be coming soon. We have not made our final choice yet.

And for anyone who doesn't know-here is foster failure number one. Six years, multiple titles, dozens of therapy visits, and lots of snuggles later I don't have any regrets.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new addition!!! i too am a foster failure! it's a good club to be in!

amanda at manymuddypaws

Greg S said...

Yes, you are a proud foster failure! My Skye is a foster failure, as is our Joey, KK, Kaylen, Hannah and Lotis. The house is full of dogs - needless to say we dont foster any more.

Paint Girl said...

Congrats! She is so cute!!
I have always been interested in fostering, but can't because of Sadie's socially anxious, insecure, dog aggression issues. Plus I would just fall in love!
I am volunteering right now for a rescue organization and I just feel so bad for the dogs, and keep picking ones I'd bring home. Which I know I can't. I just want them all to go to good homes and to live the life they deserve. I get so emotional!
At the rescue, one of them was dumped at a construction site dumpster, running around terrified until she was taken to the shelter, she was picked up by the rescue and she was just adopted. I walked her today, she is scared, but warms up quickly. She is a terrier/poodle mix, and not an attractive dog, but I just feel so bad that someone could just dump a dog somewhere to fend for itself. I am glad she found a good home. I love happy endings!!

Sara said...

congratulations on your new baby! Now you can do teacup trials :)

Diana said...

Congrats! Diana

baystatebrumby said...

Oh that one looks ready for anything!

Sue said...

I remembered you saying you wanted your next dog to be a Pom so I was waiting for this announcement. She looks like a doll. and reminds me a lot of Lucy. Have fun.

Nicki said...

Greg-I think that's a wise decision.

Everyone else, I think the key is not to foster the kind of dog you are looking for. That's how I got Zodiac and Foxy. It seems to save you all the trouble of looking!