Thursday, September 24, 2009

No good deed

Since Moses has been lame he's been in the dry lot-dieting and resting. Squirt has been in there with him most of the time as he could lose some weight too but doesn't so much need the rest. So I decided to let him out tonight for a bit since I'm going out of town for the weekend and won't be able to turn him out until I get back.

So I opened the gate and he ran out followed by Moses who mustered up enough stubbornness to run through his pain before I shut the gate. I decided to let him be for an hour and just give him less hay for dinner.

Of course they refused to come in when I went to get them. I went out with a lead rope and just looped it over Squirt's neck-he's easy and I figured Moses would follow him in. He didn't. So I locked Squirt up and went back out for Moses. He refused to be caught. So I decided to open the gate and try and herd/chase him in-this usually works pretty good. Tonight, it did not. Squirt got bored and ran back out into the pasture and neither one could be run in. It's a cool night here but by then we were are all sweating and it's getting dark. I went back to the barn to get a halter, caught Squirt again led him in and tied him up. Went back out after Moses-he must have been sore and tired because he let me walk up to him and lead him slowly to the barn. Now why couldn't he have done that the first time. Dumb horse.

2 comments:

Diana said...

They probably wanted to make sure you were good and tired before they got caught. Lol Diana

Sara said...

I'll never forget my first experience with a horse. I think I was 5 years old. The horse's name was Sunny. Boy was that horse stubborn.

That's all I remember! And that's what I think all horses are. Stubborn. Not sure if its true, but it is engrained in my brain by Sunny. LOL.