Monday, September 14, 2009

Moses

I adopted this horse in vet school. He's a great companion for Squirt and mostly a nuisance to us. He takes down fences, is not broke to ride and is sometimes hard to catch, always hard to deworm, and nearly impossible to get in a trailer. This morning I found him foundered...again. For those of you not familiar with founder or laminitis it's an inflammatory disease of the feet that causes separation of the bone from the hoof and is very painful. He's had this before, I treated him and he eventually got better. But once this happens they are always predisposed to do so again and each episode can cause more damage.

Anyway, he really didn't want to move at all this morning and so I thought I better call the "real" horse vet out to take a look and get some x-rays. She gave him some pain meds and took some x-rays. The right foot is looking pretty bad but we are going to try meds and rest and keeping him off the grass (overeating contributes). So that meant I had to go home after work and work on my fence. I headed out with the hedge trimmers to clear the weeds. There was a fine mist falling but not too noticeable. Squirt helped by intermittently standing on or playing with the electric cord and Moses stayed out in the pasture and continued to eat-guess he was feeling a little better. He finally wandered up and improved the situation by knocking the sliding barn door off the track. So now it's raining harder, getting dark and I have a barn door to try and fix by myself plus finish the fence. I got everything connected and its seems to be working ok for now. Hopefully thew will stay in tonight. And I was able to get the door hung again without too much trouble. Then in for a hot shower.

2 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Sorry to hear your horse foundered. I have never had that happen. Hope he recovers well.
Hopefully you can get that barn door fixed!

Sue said...

It's almost as bad as having human kids. I'll take the four footed ones.