Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I need the whole day off

Only having a half day off on most Tuesdays just doesn't cut it. I had so many things I would have liked to get done today but I just didn't get very far.

Afrer work I had to go get the chip in my windshield fixed-I got hit with a rock yesterday. Then I stopped a few places to get some new plants and gardening supplies. Then I started on my overwhelming yard work. I really let the landscaping and gardens get away from me last year so I'm going to try and do better this summer. My bulb garden has a mat of dead weeds in it so I just took the easy way out and covered the dead weeds with mulch. My plan is to try and keep up with the weeding as they come through the mulch. Then I started on the garden near the house. It seems my creeping phlox were very unhealthy looking so I ripped up most of those along with the weeds and I have some replacements to plant but I need to put in a few more inches of dirt and then mulch on top of that. I also got some pansies to put in my front porch tub. Also, all of my decorative rings around my trees need weeded and remulched and my berry garden needs cleared out and trimmed. I don't have a lot of success with the raspberries which has been really disappointing. They keep coming up from the base but the existing vines often die so they never get any bigger. I just get another stick every year-they won't grow into bushes.

I have also been wanting to plant something along the embankment along the barn for awhile to spruce it ip but nothing ever lives there and it just keeps growing over with weeds. This time I'm going to try Lily of the Valley. I wanted something taller but those grow well in the shade and multiply so I'll give them a shot. We'll see if they even come up.

So I have a lot of work to do!

This evening Leslie, Becky, and I delivered a rocking chair as a surprise to a special new mom and baby:)



And this is Icy on the refrigerator-just for fun!



1 comment:

Chris and Ricky said...

Mom loves lily of the valley! Sounds like you really have your work cut out for you - gardening is fun but not so much when it's overwhelming! But you'll get there!